Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 May 2013

An older and wiser-ism

Something that I've slowly come to realise in my quest for self improvement and emotional resilience is this:

When someone has an angry outburst and some of what they've said is cutting, they haven't spent a long time saying it, or thinking over what they were going to say in all likelihood, so it doesn't make sense to spend a long time dwelling on it.

Part of the reason these things hurt is because there is an element of truth in them, so I've learned that the best thing is to recognise what's true, do my best to rectify it and move on without being defensive or saying something I'll regret, because after saying something, it can never be taken back, and nobody can know how what's said affects another person.

Also, the things I dislike in other people, or the things they do that hurt me, I'm going to try my best not to have those qualities or practices inshaAllah.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this reflection :) It helped me get over some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who had an angry outburst?

    ReplyDelete
  3. FreelyEnslaved: No problem - so glad it helped mashaAllah

    Y: it was a close family member - one of those people I seldom have bad feeling with but when it happens, we're back on good terms almost immediately afterwards alhumdulillah :)

    ReplyDelete