Total Pageviews

Friday 31 May 2013

Matchmaking site messages

Last night, while I was out, I got that panicky feeling of 'uh-oh, did I leave the haandi on?' but dismissed it, because I often think I've done that or that I've left windows open, or the door unlocked etc etc. Only I came home to find the pot bubbling away - the food wasn't even burnt. I had been out of the house for hours - it could have been really bad. It was one of those big 'alhumdulillah!' moments.

So I exchanged a few messages with a 32 year old guy on one of the Muslim matchmaking sites. It seemed to be going ok, but when I asked him about whether he or his family had any dealbreakers with respect to a marriage partner, at first he said he didn't understand what that meant, the when I explained, his reply was that he wouldn't know how how to answer that so we weren't on the same wavelength, 'but you sound really nice.' I was a bit bemused lol. I can only assume that he got scared away that I was asking serious questions. I don't really expect to meet someone through these sites now - I've actually never physically met anyone through them, and the majority of messages are just silly or weird e.g:

title: u r my Dreamgirl??? 
I saw ur profile and it did attracted me cause of great personality ,How are u doing,Do you know that men and women are angels created with only one wing? And they need to embrace each other to be able to fly... I Hope to find my angel whom i can fly with forever.Inshallah
so i need to talk kindly tell me its possible or not?waiting 4 your reply...

I sent him a polite no thanks message and he said:

Hi
I am currently living in Karachi Pakistan having a reasonable job, however my cousin is in UK on migrant visa. he can meet your family on my behalf and can process further. I would be very gratefull if you consider to have a discussion with him also, he can explain about me and definitely you can always ping me for any thing.

waiting for your reply.

Regards

-------------------------------------------------------------------

title: romantic and openminded

i how are you? I liked your profile.

You seem really nice. Please have a look at my profile and let me know if you would like to have a chat ?

I only joined this a few months ago and not used it much.

How are you finding it? I am easy going guy, sporty,fun adventurous, Love to travel too and I can cook well too lol I know how to make nice aloo prathas so not really looking for someone to be tied to the cooker like most Asian guys lol Looking for someone I can enjoy life with! What about you ?

What did you get upto this week ? I was at my massage course this morning ...my last class next week almost complete my 8 week course. Just learning for personal interest.Today
learnt how to do Thai massage and the last 3 weeks sensual aromotherpy massage and learnt how to mix
different oils ... not my full time job lol. I enjoy it it's been fun. Apart from that been working and doing family stuff this week.

Anyway let me know if you would like to have a chat if not best of luck.PS sorry I don't have a pic but I am not bad I can send you one. I get whistled at when I go running lol If you would like a pic I can mms one to you I am on (he gave his mobile phone number)

It was the massage bit I found creepy.

Asslam O Alaikum :)

Its nice to see your profile which make me smiling and happy to contact you for this true relation. I am [name], Age 27 years, holding professional degree of B.E (Electronics) from the recognized university from Pakistan Engineering Council.

I don't say that i am a real practicing Muslim but i always try to become a good human and true Muslim. By nature, i am Caring, Soft spoken and having Humble and decent personality. I love to eat my favorite dishes and outing with family and friends. :D

Currently doing a job as an Assistant Manager in a well known company in Karachi. We live in Gulberg, Karachi belongs to Sunni Urdu speaking family from Lakhnow, We are 5 family members, rest of the two brothers are students, one is doing Electrical Engineering and the third one is in 9th class.

If Allah's will, After understanding and confirmation between us, My parents will discuss the details regarding marriage proposal from your parents.

I hope that you will reply soon. :)

A bit hasty!

salam hi i have read your profile and i am very intrested in it .your profile is very impressing ..i am looking forward a relationship with you ....and i want to marry very soon ...
and i am independent person .and i would keep my patner happy till my last breath.....
if you are intrested my skype is [gave skype ID].......many thanks

also

I can speak proper English and after having 5 years spent in the UK I don't think anymore that I'm better than any British Born Pakistani muslim, I have just came to the same level I guess, so why not you prefer to like me for your days as a muslim ??

and

I SALAMS.

MEETING HERE TODAY WITH OUR GREAT PARENTS BLESSINGS

I FEEL WE CAN BE VERY LOVING COUPLE


THANKS,

This is just a small selection of them - there's a depressingly large pool.

9 comments:

  1. Oh dear. My friend's on a well known muslim matrimonial site and she's not had much luck either, and she posted quite a quirky profile as well. I guess it's down to the fact that at least you're making the effort and trying.

    I think when it's meant to happen it will inshallah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that giggle! Couldn't stop laughing at some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cringing, some of those messages sound a lot like one's that I get from weirdos on my facebook! 'Will you do friendship with me' nonsense xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. which sites were these? i was wondering did you try baba ali's site, or have you heard whether it's different from the other ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the support Humaira - the majority of profiles seem to be (ahem) quirky in some way

    Zee - no problem, but I cometimes can't believe that there's a real life person who sat and composed these and thought they were a good idea :/

    Laila - Lol it's even weirder on facebook because it's so uninvited

    ymm: I have used different websites such as singlemuslim (which is well known so has quite a range of people, but more people means more weirdos), halfourdeen.com (Baba Ali's site, which is quite good,especially because of Baba Ali's videos, and the way people can put up questions that are important to them on their profile) but there aren't a lot of suitable guys from the UK there) and muzmatch (which I haven't used very much). They're all good in different ways, you just have to take the rough with the smooth really. I know a lot of people who successfully met their spouses through these sites, which is why I haven't given up on them. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha this is hilarious! Yeah, there's way too many creeps and weirdos out there. Keep trying inshaAllah :)
    Also, I haven't used it myself, but maybe you should check out Practimate. Sheikh Yaser Birjas really seems to know his stuff, so it might be worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks FreelyEnslaved, the lol factor sometimes keeps the search going. And jazakAllah khayr for the suggestion :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, that gave me a good laugh! I've definitely gotten messages similar to that too, which is one of the reasons I just dont believe in these online matrimonial sites anymore. I do use isnamatrimonial, which is only for US/Canada however. But i haven't had much luck on that either, mostly alot of guys looking to waste your time and not serious about marriage, or they're being forced to marry a cousin and looking for a way out (lol true story). I have tried halfourdeen but perhaps i'll give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear it! Ugh the stupid messages can be so offputting, and I didn't know about guys being forced to marry a cousin and looking for a way out. Hope things work out for you very soon inshaAllah (do let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete